What is Included
A complete, self-paced course with access to a community of behavior professionals working with aggression in dogs, and live group mentor sessions led by Michael Shikashio CDBC.
23 modules taking you through working aggression cases from start to finish. Receive a full year of access to the course and lifetime access to the mentor sessions!
Safety, behavior change strategies, communicating with clients, defensive handling, troubleshooting, assessing risk, case studies, and more. This course covers it all.
Lifetime access to bi-weekly online group mentor sessions with Michael Shikashio CDBC. Each session will focus on a specific type of aggression case.
Access to a private Facebook community where you can discuss your own cases and join a community of like-minded professionals working with aggression.
A certificate of completion and logo to demonstrate and market your knowledge about working with aggression in dogs.
30 CEUs for CPDT-KAs; 30 CEUs for CBCC-KAs, 30 CEUs for KPA; 32 CEUs for PPAB; 35 CEUs for IAABC; 22 CEUs for PACCC; 12 CE Points for PPG Australia; 19 CEUs for IATCB
Closed Captioning is available in the course!
Access the Course
23 modules about every aspect of working aggression cases from start to finish. Lifetime access to online bi-weekly group mentor sessions with Michael Shikashio CDBC. Private Facebook group to discuss your cases.
3 Monthly Payments of $175
Course and Bi-Weekly Group Mentor Sessions
See what people are saying!
Taught by a world renowned expert working with aggression in dogs.
When does the course start?
The course runs year round and is self-paced. You can start at anytime! Access to live group mentor sessions with Michael start when you have completed the self-paced modules portion of the course.
I have dog training experience but have never worked an aggression case. Is this course right for me?
Absolutely! We have found that there are limited opportunities to learn how to work with aggression in dogs, whether through a mentor or online. That is why we created this course!
I'm new to training dogs. Is this course right for me?
We highly recommend previous experience training dogs before taking this course. Working with aggression in dogs should not be the first type of behavior issue a new trainer should start with. Taking this course assumes you have experience training dogs, are currently working with clients, and/or have an industry recognized certification such as, but not limited to DACVB, CAAB, ACAAB, CDBC, ACDBC, CPDT-KA, CBCC-KA, CTC, KPA-CTP, CATCH Academy Certification, PMCT, VSA, or VSPDT.
Who should take this course?
Anyone with experience training dogs who is looking to expand their knowledge and skill set working aggression cases. Dog trainers, behavior consultants, shelter behavior staff, and veterinarians with an interest in behavior can benefit from this course!
How long do I have to take the course and how long does it typically take to finish?
Students have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course and it all depends on how much time you dedicate to learning! The course is self-paced, which allows you to learn based on your schedule.
Do you have a detailed course syllabus?
Sure do! Scroll down on this page for a detailed list of all the modules.
What methods do you use in this course?
Mike discusses and demonstrates how to effectively use differential reinforcement strategies, desensitization, and classical counterconditioning with aggression cases.
When, where, and how long are the live group mentor sessions?
The mentor sessions are one hour long and happen every other Tuesday at 3pm and 8pm EST, as well as every other Wednesday at 8am EST, unless it is a major U.S. holiday. A schedule of times and topics will be emailed to you upon your completion of the course modules. Additional days and times may be added, dependent on the number of students who are taking the course at a particular time. The dates and times are arranged to accommodate different locations around the world. Students are welcome to attend any of the time slots. We use Zoom for live video chat. Each session will be unique as we dive into different types of aggression cases and scenarios!
- Welcome to the Course!
- The Flow of an Aggression Case
- The Consequences for Dog Bites
- Safety First! Management Principles and Equipment in Aggression Cases
- BEFORE Meeting with the Client
- Dog Body Language Specific to Aggression Cases
- Defensive Handling and Leash Skills
- How to Break up a Dog Fight
- History Taking and What Really Matters
- Initial Greetings and Observations - What to Look For!
- Prognosis - The Key to Realistic Expectations, Avoiding Burnout, and Compassion Fatigue
- Client Consulting - Navigating Difficult Conversations, Improving Client Commitment, and Fostering Success
- Ethological Considerations for Aggression Presented by Kim Brophey CDBC
- Medical Issues and Behavior Medication in Aggression Cases Presented by Dr. Chris Pachel DVM, DACVB, CABC
- Behavior Modification Principles in Aggression Cases
- Dog to Human Aggression - Behavior Cases Part One
- Dog to Human Aggression - Behavior Cases Part Two
- Dog to Human Aggression - Behavior Cases Part Three
- Dog to Dog Aggression - Principles
- Dog to Dog Aggression - Behavior Cases
- Resource Guarding - Principles
- Resource Guarding - Behavior Cases
- Compassion Fatigue - What It Is and Why You Need to be Aware of It - Presented by Jessica Dolce CCFE
- Putting it All Together and Next Steps for Success
Who is this course designed for?
For professionals working in dog training and behavior. Before purchasing the course, please determine if this is the right program for you as we expect students to have:
A foundational knowledge of operant and classical conditioning
A minimum of two years and/or 300 hours of experience working with dogs in a training or behavior capacity
Preferably completed an educational, certification, or licensing program such as CPDT-KA, CPDT-KSA, CBCC-KA, KPA-CTP, CDBC, ACDBC, ABCDT, Dip.CBST, Dip.PDT, VSPDT, VSA, PMCT, PCT-A, PCBC-A, CAAB, ACAAB, DACVB, DCBC, CTC, Catch Canine Academy, Fear Free Trainer Certification, Behavior Works LLA